Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

A Little More To Life

Friday, January 11, 2008

Our Testimony: Ethan - the gift from God

I happened to chance upon a mid pregnancy termination thread in the Singapore Motherhood forum, and there were very pitiful stories of how different women had to terminate their pregnancy due to various conditions. It reminded me that I still owe God a testimony of how he has see us through and blessed us with a healthy and adorable baby.

It is amazing how a new life begins in the womb. It is indeed God’s creation, as we humans can’t even make a strand of hair grow. Although Ethan was born at full-term after 39 weeks of gestation, my pregnancy had not been smooth sailing.

During the 14th week scan – First Trimester Ultrasound – we had our first shock, as baby’s Nuchal translucency was considered borderline case for Down syndrome, with the probability of 1/700. We had to wait for 2 weeks for the blood test results, it seems like the longest time, we had to consciously brush away our negative thoughts as we prayed God to protect our baby. When the blood test result was finally out, the probability of our baby having Down syndrome was amazingly low at 1/11000. We were so happy and relieved, knowing that God had heard our prayers.

However the blood test revealed that my blood count was low, I was suspected to suffer from a condition known as Thalassaemia. Just in case you are wondering what is Thalassaemia, it is an inherited blood disorder which is caused by an abnormal gene. A person with thalassaemia is unable to produce normal, functioning haemoglobin in the blood. A person who has inherited one thalassaemia gene is said to have thalassaemia minor (thalassaemia trait).He or she is healthy and leads a normal life. Most people with thalassaemia minor do not know that they have it. However, the affected persons can pass on the abnormal gene to their children. Whereas Thalassaemia major is a severe form of anaemia. The affected person has inherited two thalassaemia genes, one from each parent. He or she may look normal at birth but within 1 - 2 years of life, will suffer from severe anaemia, which leads to poor growth and development as well as a shorter lifespan. Blood transfusion is needed every month to sustain life; a bone marrow transplant is the only hope of possible cure for Thalasasemia major.

Due to my low blood count, my husband and I had to do another blood test. My husband secretly prayed a wrong prayer that nothing will happen to baby and me, and if there’s any abnormal condition let him be the one to suffer instead. And so we waited again for the Lab result. We are again relieved that we were both not Thalassaemia carriers. However, my husband’s blood was tested to have the condition called Fetal Haemoglobin, which is likely to be the cause for my low blood count. So far, there are very little research/findings on this condition, it’s believed to be non-serious hereditary condition.

There was again a detail scan at 20th week of pregnancy. My scan was scheduled on the 18th week, and to our horror there were 2 small choroid plexus cysts present in our baby’s head/brain. The choroid plexus is an area of the brain that is not involved thinking or personality. Rather, the choroid plexus makes a fluid that protects and nourishes the brain and spinal cord. CPCs is associated with a severe genetic disease called Trisomy 18. It is well documented that about half of babies with Trisomy 18 show a CPC on ultrasound. However since there are no other abnormalities found on our baby, ours is an isolated CPC case. Our gynae schedule another scan in 2 weeks’ time to confirm the findings. After 2 weeks the CPC was completely gone. However, due to the previous finding of CPC our Down syndrome probability was increased from 1/11000 to 1/7000.

Without the above 2 episodes, my pregnancy was actually quite stable except for the discomfort from water retention on my legs and feet. But somehow things took a dramatic change in my third trimester; I started to get very itchy rashes on my belly, thigh & hands. To play safe, we decided to visit the 24 hour clinic at KKH after dinner one evening. As I was already 35weeks pregnant, they diverted me to the delivery suite for checkup. To my surprise, I was strapped to the CTG right away as part of their standard procedure, even though I told them I’m here to see doctor for my rashes. To my even greater surprise, the nurse asked me if I’m experiencing pain as I’m having regular contractions. I was sent to the delivery suite to be monitored overnight. It was one of the most terrible nights, as I was strapped on to the CTG the entire night. I couldn’t catch much sleep as the nurses/doctors keep coming in to check on me, and I had to ask for assistance to undo the CTG straps if I need to go to the toilet. I developed a very serious headache the following morning. The doctor on duty told me I can deliver the baby if I want, since I’m already 35weeks pregnant & the baby was already 3kg, but I wasn’t feeling much pain so guess they’ll need to induce me. My appointed gynae came in the morning and decided to stop the contractions. As the baby was big, they put me through oral glucose test to see if I’m having gestational diabetes, the result came back positive. I was given 3 weeks home rest with diet control and medications.

Although I appreciate not having to walk/take public transport to work with the heavy load, the weeks of home rest was very trying. My rashes was spreading like wild fire, the more I scratch the more they will itch. It was unbearable. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to apply ice cubes, calamine lotion, prickly heat powder. Nothing seems to relieve the itch for more than a few minutes. On top of the discomfort, I had to really watch my diet and prick my fingers to test my blood sugar level 7 times a day twice a week. Despite my strict diet, Ethan was still gaining weight steadily in the following 4 weeks but head was not engaged. I was getting anxious to the point of thinking to opt for C-section. During the 39th week checkup, Ethan was estimated to be 3.5kg, but his head was still not engaged and I’m not dilated, so an induction was scheduled on the 14th Nov 2007. It was the lowest moment of my pregnancy, as all along I’ve never wanted to go for induction. Firstly, it would not be the date that God intended for Ethan to come to this world. Secondly, 40% of induction will end up in emergency C-section, just imagine after all the pain and hours of contraction and pushing, might end up C-section and have to pay double charges. I really dislike the idea, furthermore, Ethan was not engaged and there could be other complications such as possibility of cord prolapse etc. All these have taken their toil on my faith; I became very disheartened and sad. My husband reminded me that I have been strong in my faith all along, but why lose faith during the most critical moment of the pregnancy? I understand what he is saying, but I just can’t pick myself up after the multiple setbacks… and so he helped to pray.

God has been faithful and good to us. The day before I was scheduled for my induction, I had a ‘show’ i.e. the mucus plug became dislodged, a sign that labour is in sight, and started to have regular contractions. And although I’m a petite gal, I managed to give birth naturally (vacuum assisted) to a bui bui & healthy baby, Ethan, weighing 3.76kg. All thanks and glory to God for knowing our hearts and answering our prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home